How to Create a DIY Vision Board for the New Year
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full disclosure https://sagecounselingtherapyandwellness.com/disclosure-privacy-policy-terms-of-use/ for further information.
Happy New Year! It is now 2024, which means it is the perfect time to set goals and envision how you’d like the rest of your year to look. Many people make New Year’s resolutions to keep in mind throughout the year or keep a list written in their journal or notes app. However, unless you are constantly checking in with yourself, or reading over the list, it is easy to forget your goals. But, what if there was a way to visualize all your goals and dreams in an aesthetic piece of art that can hang above your desk or bed so that you never forget your motivations for the year? If this sounds appealing to you, here is how to make a do-it-yourself (DIY) vision board!
What is a Vision Board and Why is it Important?
A vision board serves as a visual representation of your goals, dreams, and the life you want for yourself. Visualization is a powerful tool for manifesting your desires—the more you see something represented, the more likely you will remember and work towards it. By creating a tangible representation of your goals, you become more attuned to opportunities that come up that can align with your aspirations.
You may feel super optimistic for the new year at this point. However, there will be hard times throughout the year for everyone, in which you may feel unmotivated or negative about your goals. Having a visual reminder of the optimism you felt at the start of the year and all you hoped to accomplish may help get you back into a positive headspace and remind you of all the good that can come out of the year with hard work and determination.
Vision boards can look however you want them to. They can include actual pictures you took, cutouts from magazines, printed photos from Pinterest—you name it! They can also hang wherever you think fits best. Although, it is recommended you hang your vision board where you will likely see it often, like above your desk or bed, or on your bulletin board.
How to Create a DIY Vision Board:
- Clarify Your Goals: Start by reflecting on your goals for the upcoming year. These goals may be related to personal growth, career, relationships, health, mental wellness, travel, or all of the above. Make a list of your goals—the clearer, the better. If you find you are having trouble coming up with clear goals that matter to you, ask yourself about your morals and values. What is important to you in your life? Is it family, independence, career, or love? You can create your goals around those important aspects. Whatever your goals are, make sure they are important to you and your life.
- Gather Materials: Select a sturdy board as the foundation of this project. This can be a poster board, foam board, or even a corkboard. Ensure that your board is the right size to accommodate all your goals for the year in visual form and to hang in your desired space. Gather some other art materials, like scissors, glue, tape, colored markers, stickers, and more, to decorate your board and make it resonate with your personal style.
- Find Images: The most important part of your vision board is the visual representation of your goals. You can find images for these in magazines and newspapers, or you can print images out from the internet. Try to find images, words, and phrases that inspire you to reach the goals you set for 2024. For example, if your goal for the new year is to be more conscious of your health, find images of people exercising, or healthy meals. If your goal is to be more social, print images of you with friends and family, and/or use words like “Together” and “Friendship.”
- Create Your Board: Foster a peaceful and focused atmosphere by playing some soothing music or using essential oils. This will help you tap into your creative energy and make the process enjoyable. Next, take a few moments to visualize yourself achieving your goals, before you even put the images on the board. This will create some positive energy before you start creating. Start arranging the images, words, and phrases on your board. You can group them into categories, and experiment with different layouts. Make sure the aesthetic appeals to you! Finally, paste or tape down the images, and add your personal touches with stickers, drawings, or handwritten affirmations. These will make your vision board come to life. Finally, hang up your finished board in your desired spot, and make sure it is secured with a nail, command hook, or tape.
- Activate the Vision Board: Take a few moments each day to admire your vision board, absorb its positive energy, and recite positive affirmations related to your goals, such as:
– “I am able to achieve my goals this year.”
– “I am always trying my best to be my best self.”
– “I am loved, and people support me in achieving my goals.”
– “I already have all I need inside me.”
– “I am positive, motivated, and capable of anything I set my mind to.”
Creating a vision board for the new year is not just a creative endeavor, but a powerful tool for manifesting your dreams. Embrace the process, stay connected to your goals, and watch as your vision comes to life in the year ahead with help from your hard work and positivity! Good luck, and happy creating!
Vision Board Examples:
Want to read more? Here are a few of my related blog posts you may be interested in checking out!